Source: The Seasoned Mom
- 2 cups uncooked steel cut oats
- ½ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 8 cups water
- ¼ cup molasses
- Optional toppings:
- Chopped and toasted pecans, dried cranberries, Greek yogurt
- Spray the inside of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and stir well.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Don’t use quick-cooking or old-fashioned rolled oats because they will get too mushy.
- You can substitute with maple syrup instead of the molasses, but it won’t have that true “gingerbread” taste.
Calories: 223; Total Fat: 2g; Sodium: 326mg;
Total Carbohydrate: 45g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 16g; Protein: 5g.