Source: Med Instead of Meds
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 ½ cups thinly sliced white mushrooms (can use crimini or shiitake)
- ½ cup cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons chopped herbs (parsley, chives, cilantro) (optional)
- ½ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toast the almonds and oats in a dry skillet stirring frequently until just brown. Set aside.
- Cook the onions and mushrooms in the olive oil until done and no moisture remains – approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add the oats and almonds to the mushroom mixture.
- Cool, then combine with the remaining ingredients. The mixture will be a bit soupy.
- Form into 6 patties and cook on a griddle or large sauté pan. Do not get the patties too close together.
- Let cook until medium brown before turning – this will allow the egg whites to set the patties and they will be easier to turn.
- Any cheese of your choice can be used instead of the sharp cheddar cheese if desired.
Calories: 158; Total Fat: 7g; Sodium: 127mg; Total Carbohydrate: 17g;
Dietary Fiber: 2g; Protein: 7g.