By no means can I take credit for this recipe but it was super easy to prepare and so delightfully refreshing (esp. during the summer) that I had to share.
Loose leaf lettuce (red or green)
2 ripe avocados
2 tsp lemon juice
4 medium tomatoes
2 cups mixed beans (canned and drained OR use home-cooked beans)
1 onion (optional)
Dressing (or use any other low-fat dressing of your choice):
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp garlic wine vinegar
Pinch of superfine sugar
Pinch of chilli powder
1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Line a large serving bowl with the lettuce leaves.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Thinly slice the flesh and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Thinly slice the tomatoes and onion and push the onion out into rings. Arrange the avocado, tomatoes, and onion around the salad bowl, leaving a space in the center.
- Spoon the mixed beans into the center of the salad.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and serve with the salad.
Note – Although lemon juice is sprinkled on the avocados to help prevent discoloration, prepare and serve this salad quite quickly.