Every week of the 2021 Holiday Challenge, we posted a resistance workout for participants looking to engage in muscle-strengthening activities. Each workout has a different focus, but all include modifications so that individuals of various fitness levels can participate. These seven workouts are a great resource throughout the whole year.
We encourage everyone to look up additional modifications if necessary. Try searching YouTube for standing workouts, standing abs, no jumping workouts, or similar phrases to find more options that better suit your needs. No jumping and no noise workouts are great options for individuals looking for low-impact routines or for those living on the upper levels of an apartment complex.
- Disclaimer: Individuals should seek medical evaluation and clearance from a doctor before beginning any exercise regimen. All activities should be carried out at a pace and intensity that is comfortable for the individual.
- Be as physically active as any health conditions, injuries or disabilities allow. Refer to these resources to find activities that work for you.
- Increase your activity levels gradually. Take into account where you are now, where you want to be and increase your activity over time.
- Warm up your muscles and increase your heart rate with 5 – 10 minutes of a low intensity activity like walking or marching in place.
- Prioritize proper form over the number of repetitions, amount of weight or time you perform the exercise. Using proper form will prevent injury and help you to focus your efforts on the intended muscle(s).
- Adjust the number of repetitions, sets, exercise duration and/or rest intervals to fit your needs and to ensure you maintain proper form.
- For most exercises that involve movement, using a slow and controlled tempo is best.
- All exercises can be performed without weights (even if the animations include them).
- Workouts or exercises can be performed with specific numbers of sets and repetitions or by performing the exercise for a specific amount of time and resting for another specified time interval.
- Don’t be afraid to try any of the modifications or challenges or search for additional resources.
- Cans or water bottles make great light weights for at-home workouts if you would like to add a little bit of an extra challenge to an exercise.
7 Resistance Workout Plans
- Week #1: Core
- Week #2: Total Body
- Week #3: Lower Body
- Week #4: Total Body – HIIT
- Week #5: Arms & Shoulders
- Week #6: Chest & Back
- Week #7: Total Body – EMOM (every minute on the minute)
You might also enjoy:
Navigating Plateaus and Setbacks
Don’t miss another great blog: Subscribe Now