This flavor-packed recipe is an easy way to add more fish into your diet. Round out your meal by adding a salad or your favorite vegetable side.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1 piece of fish, ¼ of rice mixture
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes to 1 hour depending on rice
- Total Time: 35 minutes, or longer depending on rice
- 1 ½ cups uncooked short grain brown rice or brown sushi rice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 8 green onions, green and white parts, sliced
- 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- Salt and pepper
- 4 pieces of firm white fish, 3-4 ounces each (cod, bass, flounder)
- Rinse 1 ½ cups uncooked short grain brown rice or brown sushi rice and cook according to package directions.
- If using an Instant Pot, 1 ½ cups well-rinsed rice, 3 cups water, process 22 minutes on high pressure, wait 5 minutes then manually vent.
- In a small bowl, mix rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of canola oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, cook the green onions until they have a slight char and are somewhat caramelized.
- While the green onions are cooking, in a non-reactive bowl, mix the grated ginger, 2 tablespoons canola oil, salt and pepper, and fish. Make sure the ginger is evenly coated on the fish on both sides.
- Once the green onions are cooked remove from the skillet and set aside. Carefully wipe out the large skillet and then heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the fish. Cook undisturbed to form a crust with the ginger.
- Carefully flip fish after 5 minutes or so and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. The exact cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the fish.
- While fish is cooking, add the green onions, rice vinegar, sugar, and salt to the warm, cooked rice. Mix well.
- Serve the fish over the rice.
Nutrition Information per Serving
Serving Size: 1 piece of fish + ¼ of rice
- Calories: 460
- Carbohydrates: 55 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 31 grams
- Fat: 15 grams
- Sodium: 380 mg
Don’t miss another great blog: Subscribe Now