Football season is upon us. Whether it’s setting up a tent at a tailgate or cheering for your team from your living room, having something to snack on is essential. My favorite NFL team was playing last night, and I was searching for something that I could munch on during the game. Traditional game day foods like potato chips taste great, but are loaded with fat. I wanted to try something different.
After searching I came across a recipe for sweet potato nacho fries online. Believe me- they taste and look as great as they sound; I had to snap a picture! The recipe was extremely simple, and only took around 20 minutes to prepare.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into sticks about 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus a pinch, divided
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt or reduced fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes begin to brown for 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the sweet potatoes are soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream, lime juice and the remaining pinch of salt in a small bowl.
- Top the sweet potatoes with corn, cheese and beans. Continue baking until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Top with tomatoes, scallions and avocado. Drizzle with the sour cream mixture. Top the nachos with cilantro (if using).
- Dive-in and enjoy!!