Preparing healthier versions of classic dishes during the holidays may sound daunting, but it can certainly be done with minimal effort! Simply plan to opt for one or two lighter ingredients before you go grocery shopping – most likely, your guests won’t notice the difference.
Try these simple swaps when preparing your holiday favorites.
Reduce the amount of added fat
- Low-fat cheese instead of full-fat versions of cheese
- Low-fat or nonfat plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream or mayo
- Cooking spray or nonstick pans instead of butter or shortening
- Choose olive oil based dressings
Use less sugar
- Vanilla, nutmeg, or cinnamon to enhance sweetness instead of the full amount of sugar
- Whole grains instead of refined grains, such as brown rice, quinoa, barley, and whole wheat bread
- Extra vegetables instead of extra meat, cheese or other breads in casseroles or soups
- Herb seasonings (garlic powder, celery seed, fresh herbs) instead of seasoning salt (garlic salt, or onion salt)
Don’t miss another great blog: Subscribe Now