This week, the workout is designed to strengthen your upper body!
Muscle-strengthening activities are an important part of any movement routine. They can contribute to your weekly physical activity goals while also helping you feel stronger and making everyday life a little bit easier. The weekly workouts are designed to be short and modifiable so you can tailor them to your activity level and goals. Check out our Holiday Challenge Workout Reminders for more information and tips to guide you through these workouts.
Week #3: Upper Body
- Rest 15 seconds after completing each movement before starting the next one.
- Aim to complete each movement 3 times. You can complete all 3 sets for one movement before switching to the next, or complete 1 set of each and then repeat all 5.
- Challenge: For each of these movements, you can add weights to increase the intensity. Canned foods can make a great set of light weights.
Lat Pulls – 16 repetitions OR 45 seconds
- Start by bringing your arms straight overhead with palms facing forward. Slowly move your elbows down to chest-height (where your arms create a “W” shape) while drawing your shoulder blades back and down. Return to the starting position with a controlled tempo.
Seated Row – 16 repetitions OR 45 seconds
- Find a tall, seated posture and engage your core. Bring your hands to chest height with your arms extended. Draw your elbows back while squeezing your shoulder blades. Return to the starting position with a controlled tempo.
Seated Shoulder Press – 16 repetitions OR 45 seconds
- Find a tall, seated posture and engage your core. Bring your hands to shoulder height keeping your elbows at your side. Slowly extend your arms and press your hands straight overhead. Return to the starting position with a controlled tempo.
Standard/Side Bicep Curl – 16 repetitions OR 45 seconds
- Begin with arms extended at your side and palms facing forward. Keeping your upper arms stationary, bend at the elbow to curl your hands up to your shoulders. Return to the starting position. Rotate your arms so that your palms face sideways, out from your legs. Bend at the elbow to curl your hands to your shoulders before returning to the starting position with a controlled tempo. Alternate between the standard and side bicep curls.
Seated Triceps Press – 16 repetitions OR 45 seconds
- Sit at the front of your chair. Place your hands on the armrests or edge of the chair. Press up through your arms until they are extended. Slowly descend back to a seated position, allowing your arms to bend to the original position.
Check out our previous weekly workouts for more ideas to add to your movement routine!
You might also enjoy:
Holiday Challenge Week #2 Workout
Holiday Challenge Week #1 Workout
Don’t miss another great blog: Subscribe Now