Following a mindful breathing technique is one of the simplest ways to calm the mind and body and refocus in times of stress. If you are feeling overwhelmed, take a moment to focus on your breath by following these steps:
- Become aware of your posture. Sit or stand up straight so you are alert, but not tense. You may wish to close your eyes.
- Breathe in through your nose. Pay attention to where you feel your breath. Do you feel it in your nose? Your chest? Your abdomen?
- Exhale out of your mouth, and imagine that you are exhaling out everything that is causing you stress.
- As you continue to breathe, let your awareness remain on your breath. You do not need to try to control the depth or pace of your breath, just notice it.
- Maintain this mindful breath for a few minutes, focusing on the in and out, and how it feels in your body. If your mind wanders, gently return your focus to your breath. You can set a timer, or simply enjoy doing this until you feel ready to return to your normal breathing.
Mindful breathing is as simple as this, and hopefully practicing this technique will provide you with a quick way to calm down and reset your mind when you are feeling stressed.
Don’t miss another great blog: Subscribe Now