Whenever I travel to Europe, especially when on a cruise, one of the things I look forward to is the Muesli. When we see in Muesli the stores here it is a cold ready to eat cereal like granola. While this is technically muesli, the kind I crave is very different. It is a cold oatmeal with nuts and fruit and is so delicious. It was developed by a Swiss physician in the early 1900’s to help his patients heal. It always makes me feel better. Here is a recipe that I have worked on to get the taste just right without breaking the calorie bank.
- 2 apples (or 1 apple and 1 pear), grated
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2/3 cup yogurt
- 4 Tablespoons nuts or seeds
- Grapes or berries (optional)
1. Place the grated fruit, oats, milk, and yogurt in a glass bowl. You can use any kind of yogurt you like. Plain yogurt will lighten the calories and sugar but will result in a tart finished product. Vanilla yogurt works well.
2. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
3. Serve topped with nuts or seeds and sliced grapes or berries.
This recipe makes about 4 small or 2 large servings. It will keep in the refrigerator for several days.
You may also enjoy:
Don’t miss another great blog: Subscribe Now