That’s right folks, we’re back for round four with MORE frozen meals to review! Just remember to consume these in moderation and read the food labels for sodium and portion size. This time it looks like we have a new frozen meal brand with the highest rating, and for the first time an Amy’s meal is rated the lowest!
Lean Cuisine Simple Favorites; Asian- Style Pot Stickers-Chicken and vegetable dumplings with rice in an Asian-style dipping sauce.
- Calories: 260
- Price: $2.29
- Weight: 9 oz.
- Upside: The rice has good texture and there are lots of veggies (peas, carrots, red pepper). The pot-stickers have a good peppery flavor to the filling. The meal is very low in calories.
- Downside: The “Asian-style dipping sauce” tastes like mildly-sweet boredum. Some of the chicken in the filling has an odd texture.
Michael Angelo’s Eggplant Parmesan- Eggplant Parmesan with freshly cut eggplant, imported Parmesan and Romano cheeses, and vine-ripened tomatoes.
- Price: $4.69
- Weight: 11 oz.
- Upside: This is actually quite good! Maybe I’m just hungry, but the tomato sauce is rich, the cheese is flavorful, and the eggplant is delicious.
- Downside: Pretty high in calories for a frozen meal. I don’t know if they can say the eggplant is freshly cut; it came frozen in a box. You also need a knife to cut the eggplant skin.
Amy’s Broccoli Pot Pie- Broccoli pot pie with cheddar cheese sauce made with organic vegetables.
- Calories: 460
- Price: $4.99
- Weight: 7.5 oz.
- Upside: Very cheddar-y! The shell is made from whole wheat. The vegetables are very tasty.
- Downside: Expensive for a frozen meal. High calorie, especially for the amount of food you get. Also, the shell is a little dry and grainy.
Healthy Choice Steaming Entrees; Chicken Romano Fresca- Chicken tenderloins with whole grain pasta, broccoli, and red peppers in a Romano cheese and butter glaze.
- Calories: 230
- Price: $2.89
- Weight: 8 oz.
- Upside: Pasta is whole grain and the calorie amount is low. The glaze is pretty plain but it has a decent flavor.
- Downside: It’s not very much food and the chicken is dry. The veggies (broccoli and red peppers) and okay but there could be a lot more of them.