While black coffee is low in calories, making it tastier with cream and sugar can make it tricky to fit into your weight loss plan. Adding regular cream can quickly multiply the amount of calories and fat to your morning- or afternoon- drink. This is even before adding the flavored syrups and sugar! We’ll take a look at the different popular creamers to see how a simple change can make a big difference. Keep in mind this is measured per tablespoon, typically the amount in one cup, yet the average American drinks three cups per day!
Coffee-Mate (1 tbsp serving)
- Original Coffee Creamer- 20 calories
- Fat Free Original Creamer- 10 calories
- French Vanilla Creamer- 35 calories
- Sugar Free French Vanilla- 15 calories
- Vanilla Caramel Creamer- 35 calories
International Delight (1 tbsp serving)
- French Vanilla Creamer- 45 calories
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Creamer- 45 calories
- Sugar Free Hazelnut Creamer- 20 calories
- Fat Free Vanilla Creamer- 30 calories
For a healthier alternative try using milk instead of cream. There are many different milk options that can enhance your coffee just like cream does but with less fat and calories.
- 1 Tbsp 2% milk – 7.7 calories
- 1 Tbsp. skim milk- 5.7 calories
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Soymilk or Almond Milk- 6 calories
- 1 Tbsp. Unsweetened Almond Milk- 2 calories
It might take a little getting used to, but it helps to start with half of the cream you typically use and half milk (maybe even ¾ cream, and ¼ milk). Slowly you can work your way down to only using milk. Soon you won’t even miss your old cream- or the calories!