The frozen meal review is back for round TWO! The Eat Smart Move More Weigh Less team is continuing the hunt for the most delicious frozen meal- and here are a few new ones we’ve tried!
Amy’s Light & Lean Pasta and Veggies- Pasta and Veggies made with organic broccoli and asparagus.
- Calories: 210
- Price: $3.97 (on sale)
- Weight: 8 oz.
- Upside: SO GOOD! And very low in calories! All organic and made with whole grain noodles. Lots of veggies, great taste, and pasta has normal texture (not soggy like some frozen meals).
- Downside: A little expensive. Some might think it’s too small of a portion but I thought it was just right!
Healthy Choice Top Chef Chicken Linguine with Red Pepper Alfredo- Chicken tenderloins with linguine and broccoli in a roasted red pepper alfredo sauce.
- Calories: 280
- Price: $2.97
- Weight: 10.3 oz.
- Upside: Pasta has decent texture.
- Downside: Red pepper sauce doesn’t taste like anything.Chicken is grainy. Broccoli is too soft.
Kashi Steam Meal – Roasted Garlic Chicken Farfalle- Natural white chicken, asparagus & spinach over Kashi™ 7 whole grain farfalle pasta with a roasted garlic, tomato, red wine and basil sauce.
- Calories: 280
- Price: $2.42
- Weight: 9.5
- Upside: Pasta has good texture and there are lots of veggies, plus the asparagus is very flavorful. Great deal – I bought a four pack for $9.69 at Costco. Sauce is an earthy mix of garlic and tomato, and the calorie amount is on target.
- Downside: Chicken is okay, but there is not much of it and it could use some more spinach.
Stouffer’s Simple Dishes – Cheddar Potato Bake- A side dish with diced potatoes in a cheddar cheese sauce with bacon.
- Calories: 240 per serving (480 per box!)
- Price: $2.59
- Weight: 5 oz. (10 per box)
- Upside: Quite cheesy and a little smoky from the bacon. It’s also inexpensive.
- Downside: Not too flavorful (added some Tapatio). High calorie with tricky labeling in that there are two (small) servings per container.
Amy’s Indian Mattar Paneer- Curried peas and cheese with rice and chana masala. Made with organic rice, tomatoes and peas.
- Calories: 370
- Price: $4.99
- Weight: 10 oz.
- Upside: Yummy spices and great flavor! Very satisfying with 13 grams protein and 6 grams of fiber!! Woohoo!! Not left feeling hungry after you eat this. Gluten-free too!
- Downside: A little high in fat at 11 grams; however, most is healthy fat. Also, high in sodium at 780 mg. A little expensive if you buy at Harris Teeter (less expensive at Super Target < $4).