Chicken cutlet is a year-round favorite and a simple way to get more bang for your buck. One boneless skinless chicken breast makes for two hefty cutlets when pounded thin. The surprising addition of crackers goes the distance by adding both crunch and flavor. When paired with a simple summer salad – one full of fresh cucumbers – this meal is sure to be on the summer-time menu plan.
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 10 whole-wheat ritz crackers or saltines, pounded to crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lemon, zested, then juiced
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast (about 16 ounces)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bag mixed greens (about 5 ounces)
- 1 cucumber
- On a plate or shallow bowl combine the flour, half the salt, and half the pepper. Mix to combine.
- One a separate plate, add the egg, and zest from one lemon. Mix until fairly beaten, without any streaks of white.
- On a third plate, add the crushed crackers. (This is a three-step breading station.)
- Slice the chicken breast in half horizontally and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with an ample layer of plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin or the back of the sauté pan (that will be used for pan-searing the chicken breast) pound the chicken until it looks like it has doubled in size, but not thickness. Repeat this process for the other half of the chicken breast. Place them on a cutting board
- Place a large skillet on medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Dredge one piece of the chicken in the flour, then egg, then crackers and place into the skillet. Repeat for the other chicken breast. Wash hands throughly after handling raw chicken.
- Cook the chicken in a single layer, so that neither breast is touching. Cook for 5 minutes per side, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚ F. Once cooked, transfer the chicken onto a paper towel lined plate. Cut the 2 cutlets in half to create 4 servings of chicken.
- Cut the cucumber and add it to a large bowl. For added appeal, peel the cucumber alternately then cut it in half half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and then cut horizontally into crescent shapes.
- Add the remaining salt, pepper, oil, and lemon juice and toss to combine.
- Add the mixed greens to the bowl and toss to combine. Serve next to the chicken cutlets.
Nutrition Information per Serving
- Serving Size: ~ 4 ounces of chicken with a quarter of mixed greens bag
- Calories: 320 calories
- Total Fat: 14 grams
- Sodium: 730 mg
- Carbohydrates: 19 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Sugar: 2 grams (Includes 0g Added Sugars)
- Protein: 31 grams
You may also enjoy:
Don’t miss another great blog: Subscribe Now