A classic favorite that is easy to make and delicious. These one-eyed jacks are cooked in olive oil, giving them a savory taste that is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Serve with your favorite fruits for a delectable meal you and your family will love.
- Serves 1
- Serving Size: 1 one-eyed jack
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- 1 slice of 100% whole wheat bread (look for a bread with minimal added sugar)
- 1 egg
- dash black pepper
- dash oregano
- dash paprika or cayenne
- Use a spoon, butter knife, or the rim of a cup to cut a circular piece out of the center of a slice of 100% whole wheat bread.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add the slice of bread with the hole in the center to the pan (reserve the cut-out center piece of bread for later). Use a fork or tongs to move the slice around the pan to collect a little bit of oil from the pan onto the bread. Flip the slice and repeat the process on the other side.
- Crack an egg into the hole in the center of the slice of bread. Let the egg cook until it is firm enough to flip. (Note: If desired, you can break the yolk during the cooking process in order to ensure that the center cooks all the way through.)
- Once ready to flip, season with black pepper, oregano and cayenne and then flip to cook on the other side. Season again on this side.
- While the one-eyed jack finishes cooking, add the cut-out center piece of bread to the pan with a small amount of olive oil if needed. Toast the bread on both sides.
- Cook the egg and cut-out center piece of bread to your desired level of doneness and serve.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
- Serving size – 1 one-eyed jack
- Vegetable – 0 cups
- Fruit – 0 cups
- Calories – 255 calories
- Carbohydrates – 13 grams
- Fiber – 2 grams
- Protein – 9 grams
- Fat – 19 grams
- Sodium – 191 mg
Don’t miss another great blog: Subscribe Now
4 thoughts on “Easy and Healthy MED Breakfast: One-Eyed Jacks”
Tried it today. Loved it and I think my kids will too!
Great!!! Thank you for sharing, Carol!
This simple and healthy breakfast looks delicious. I can’t wait to try it.
They are! Let us know how it goes! 🙂
Comments are closed.