For the past few years, I have been making numerous variations of muffin pan quiches. It originated from Eating Well’s Mini Mushroom and Sausage Quiche recipe (which was featured in the Holiday Challenge), but I found that I started throwing in my own vegetable combinations and more often than not opted for a vegetarian option (trying to avoid processed meats as much as possible). It even got to the point of no longer following a recipe, just throwing together a combo of egg whites and whole eggs, a little milk, and then any and all vegetables I had on hand until the muffin cups were full. When friends or family would ask for the recipe, the only one I had written down was the mushroom and sausage version. SO, I decided to jot down my favorite combo and share it with you all!
These mini muffin pan quiches could not be easier. Make a large batch on Sunday and use for the week. They are also easy to freeze and save for later – just wrap each up in saran wrap, place in a freezer bag, and call it a day. When you’re ready to enjoy, just unwrap and microwave until warmed through. This is my go-to breakfast when company comes to town or when someone has a baby (or illness, or death in the family) and needs a healthy and easy breakfast. Play around with the recipe and make it your own!
Muffin Pan Vegetable Quiche
- 5 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup 1% or skim milk
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- ¼ cup sliced scallions (optional)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 325 degrees. Coat a nonstick muffin tin generously with cooking spray or line with foil baking cups.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites, and milk in a medium bowl. Divide egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the vegetables and cheese into each cup.
- Bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Flip the quiches out of pan and let cool completely.
Tip: Can use any preferred vegetable combination. Try red peppers, broccoli, or tomatoes.
Don’t miss another great blog: Subscribe Now