The holidays almost always include baking for my household. We try to keep it healthish as much as we can. I follow the Mediterranean diet pretty closely so that means very low sugar. How can you make a Holiday special treat but limit sugar? Try these delicious Med Meringues. They are super delicious, packed with healthy nuts, easy to make, and have only ½ teaspoon of added sugar per cookie.
Meringue cookies are usually just egg whites, flavoring and sugar. These unbelievably delicious Med Meringues use the technique of beaten egg whites combined with nuts and seeds for a meringue with med influence, healthy fat, and low sugar. You can use any combination of nuts and seeds. If you have small or medium eggs, use an extra egg white. Be sure to use unsalted nuts and seeds.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or stir fry pan until hot but not smoking.
- Add the sunflower seeds, almonds, pumpkin seeds, coconut, oats, and salt. Toss for several minutes until toasted. Keep the mixture moving and reduce heat so it does not burn.
- Put the nut mixture in a large bowl and refrigerate until cool.
- Beat the egg whites using a hand or stand mixer until foamy. Continue to beat and slowly add the sugar, beat until thick.
- Combine the nut mixture and egg whites. Fold together until combined.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon on to parchment lined baking sheet (you can also use a baking mat or lightly greased cookie sheet).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly brown. Cool on a wire rack. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Serving Size: 1 cookie
Vegetables: 0 cups
Fruits: 0 cups
Carbohydrate: 6 gm
You might also like:
Don’t miss another great blog: Subscribe Now