On average, adults spend more time at work than anywhere else, which makes the presence of worksite wellness programs even more important. The adult population in the United States is getting increasingly more obese, which leads to serious chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes. Besides obesity being a common factor in developing these expensive and life threatening conditions- they are both lifestyle diseases. Unlike some chronic diseases like cancer, the top two causes of death in America are 100% preventable. This means that with proper diet, exercise, and stress management strategies, your employees can improve their health status drastically. Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less and Eat Smart, Move More, Prevent Diabetes are both evidence based programs that will allow for your employees to thrive in making these changes.
6 Reasons to support a wellness program within your company:
- Wellness programs make your organization more appealing- which leads to enhanced recruitment and higher retention rates.
- Physical activity increases the presence of endorphins in the body- the happy hormone- which boosts energy. A physically active employee, is a more productive one.
- Social cues heavily influence behavior change. Imagine if a wellness program was implemented within your company- if employees hear about and see positive change among their co-workers, they are likely to want to participate as well.
- Worksites are a great place for health improvement because the concept of “team” is already encouraged and this can lead to greater accountability and motivation between co-workers.
- Wellness programs can build stronger relationships among employees and creates a greater sense of comradery.
- And finally, ROI. Investing in a workplace wellness program will save you THOUSANDS of dollars in health care costs.
- More than 6 in 10 adults are overweight or obese. Excess weight in adults costs over $17.6 billion each year in medical costs and lost productivity.
- For every $1 invested in Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less, $2.75 can be saved in medical care and lost productivity costs. ¹
As you consider wellness program options for your company, keep us in mind! Our classes are taught in a real-time online format by trained lifestyle coaches or Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs). We offer special group pricing for those companies who purchase seats in bulk.
Invest in your employees, and they will invest in you.
¹Chenoweth D. Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less Online for State Employees: Benefit-Cost Analysis and Present Value Adjustment Report. Chenoweth & Associates. August 2013