This is one of my favorite blogs of the year. I enjoy looking up new drink ideas and tips for this blog. This December will be different. We will not be hosting our annual Christmas party featuring Sergeant Gunnery’s Eggnog. We will not be attending parties either.
It is the reality of 2020.
So instead I am trying to include a festive drink that matches the Christmas movie we will be watching that night. So far we are serving hot chocolate with Charlie Brown’s Christmas, a gin cocktail with the Grinch that Stole Christmas, and a Christmas inspired peppermint coffee/mocha drink while watching Elf. I am still trying to figure out what to serve with Die Hard (which I did not consider a Christmas movie until I married my husband).
There are some tips that stay the same even if you are staying in for the holiday parties or hosting one virtually.
- Stay hydrated. Between busier schedules and usually less sleep, choose a glass of water or sparkling seltzer before drinking a glass of eggnog.
- Include a dessert that is lower in calories like Frozen Chocolate Cheescake bites or Toasted Coconut and Dark Chocolate cookies.
- Juice and sodas are often used as mixers. Try to choose a no-calorie or low calorie options.
- Cranberry or Pomegranate Juice are great options, make sure it is 100% juice with no added sugar.
- Add lemons, limes, orange, or even cranberries to your drink to add some extra flavor.
- Serve mocktails at your party such as the Cranberry Lime Soda or Strawberry Mint Water
- Generally, wine has fewer calories compared to other alcoholic beverage.
- Red and White wine have the same number of calories (100-125 calories per 5 oz glass).
Liquor and Cocktails:
You can reduce the calories in a mixed drink/cocktail by the following:
- Use a liquor with fewer calories (vodka or gin over scotch)
- Decrease the amount of alcohol in the drink
- Mix a drink with a seltzer or no-calorie sparkling beverage
- Don’t use flavored liqueurs like Amaretto or Kahlua
- Add lemons, limes, or herbs instead of simple syrup/sugar
- Use lots of ice in the glass
- Light beers have the least amount of calories (70-125 calories).
- IPA and craft beers have the most amount of calories (180-230 calories).
Updated on 11/30/20
You might also like:
Don’t miss another great blog: Subscribe Now
2 thoughts on “The Skinny on Holiday Cocktails”
This article was very helpful.
Comments are closed.