I just returned from a conference that focused on diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. Lots of talk about drug therapy with many comments about healthy eating, physical activity, and stress management being the front line for reducing risk. All of that to say that I ate some really good food. Not the norm at any conference. The organizers did a really good job walking the walk with respect to what we were offered for meals and snacks. Here is a recipe that I “stole” from a brunch that we had on the last day of the conference. I will call it “Eggs Dallas” since the conference was in Dallas. It is really delicious. You could make the vegetable mixture with any vegetables and could even make ahead of time and store in the refrigerator.
Eggs Dallas (Eggs with Vegetable Hash)
The following is for two serving – adjust the amount according to the number of servings you need.
- 1 cup raw arugula
- 1 carrot – small dice
- 1 zucchini – small dice
- 1 yellow squash – small dice
- ½ cup mushrooms – sliced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 eggs
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the vegetables and sauté until soft (5-8 minutes).
- Add the thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to a bowl and keep warm.
- Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Cook the eggs to your level of doneness.
- Divide the raw arugula between two plates.
- Top with the cooked vegetables and place the egg on top.
You might also like:
Don’t miss another great blog: Subscribe Now